1962 Lodge Spark Plug French F1 Advertisement Board Signed by Clark, McLaren, Rodríguez And OthersNow Sold
1962 Lodge Spark Plug French F1 Advertisement Board Signed by Clark, McLaren, Rodríguez And Others
French text advertisement counter board dating from 1962 and personally signed by 11 of the top Formula One drivers of the day, including Jim Clark, Jack Brabham, John Surtees and Phil Hill, all former F1 Drivers Champions.
This very rare, original Lodge Spark Plug advertisement board is highly desirable to the automobilia collector and F1 afficionado. The 1960 World Champion Jack Brabham’s circled image is on the front of the board and his personal signature is under the image. Brabham was a three-time F1 Champion and the founder of the Brabham Racing Team. Next to this is a circled image of the great Sir Stirling Moss, who many thought would be the next world champion. Unfortunately early in 1962, Moss would have the infamous Goodwood accident that ended his Formula One career.
The following racing drivers from the 1962 Formula 1 World Championship season have personally signed their names on the back of the board in blue ballpoint pen. A number has been added just under the signatures to identify each one. They are:
1. Jim Clark (two time F1 World Champion, Indy 500 winner and thought by many to be the greatest race driver in history)
2. Bruce McLaren (Four F1 race wins, two-time Can-Am Champion and founder of the McLaren Racing Organization).
3. Innes Ireland (One F1 race win and many other non-championship F1 wins).
4. Ricardo Rodríguez (Brother of Pedro, became the youngest Formula One driver ever to race for Ferrari, died at a very young age)
5. Tony Maggs (South Africa born driver, participated in 27 Formula One World Championship Grands Prix).
6. Maurice Trintignant (French driver with one of the longest careers in the early years of Formula One, recording two wins).
7. Giancarlo Baghetti (One of only three drivers to have won his first World Championship race, his only win).
8. Phil Hill (1961 Formula One World Champion and three-time Le Mans winner).
9. Masten Gregory (American driver, participated in 43 World Championship races, also a two-time Le Mans winner).
10. John Surtees (Seven-time Motorcycle World Champion, 1964 Formula One World Champion and first Can-Am Champion).
Collectors of Formula One autographs will know that many of these signatures are among the most sought-after in the collecting world.
The card advertisement board itself is in excellent condition for its age. The corners are slightly rounded and it has some small paper chips on the edges. It also has some small marks and slight foxing on the front and back that do not distract from the quality of this item.
It has a vivid two-color fluorescent overlay that would have been silkscreen printed over the black text and images. It is doubtful if many would have been produced and that many, if any, have survived the test of time. Its approximate size is 16 x 12 inches (41 x 31 cm).